Lemon Self Saucing Pudding
If you love citrus flavours, this is the dessert for you! Lemon delicious is a retro self saucing pudding - a lemon cake floats on top of a tangy sauce. An affordable dessert that's easy to make and a lighter alternative to chocolate pudding. This vegan version is very similar to the original, with the ommission of eggs and replacing dairy milk with plant based alternatives. Serve with vanilla ice cream.
Servings 8 people
- Dutch oven
- 2 1/4 cup self raising flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 120 g margarine
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
- 1 cup soy milk
- 2/3 cup lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 1/2 cup boiling water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- Please note! This is a LARGE pudding that bubbles while cooking and requires a LARGE baking dish or dutch oven. 26cm diameter is ideal. IF USING A REGULAR SIZE 17CM BAKING DISH PLEASE HALVE QUANTITIES ? and place on a lined oven tray to catch any drips.
- Preheat oven to 180C. In a large mixing bowl, combine sifted flour, salt, sugar and lemon zest.
- In a jug, combine wet ingredients: soy milk, lemon juice, margarine.
- Pour wet mixture into dry and mix until it forms a thick batter. Spread the batter into your Dutch oven.
- To make the sauce, combine cornstarch, lemon juice and boiling water in a jug or bowl. Mix well.
- Sprinkle the sugar over the top of the pudding, then gently pour the sauce over the top. You can pour the water over the back of a spoon to soften the impact.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes until the top is lightly golden.
- Serve immediately with vanilla ice cream.