This is my go-to vegan dish to take as a guest (perfect for BBQs or pot-lucks) or as an easy side dish when entertaining. It’s especially handy if you’re a guest and not sure if vegan food is going to be served, as it’s dense enough to be enjoyed as a main meal.
Humble in appearance but guaranteed WOW in flavour, you will get many compliments and no doubt recipe requests to anybody you serve this to!
Brown Rice Salad (Gluten Free & Vegan)
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 4 tbsp currants
- 5 spring onions
- 1 small green capsicum
- 1 small red capsicum
- 200 g sunflower seeds
- 200 g raw cashews or almonds (or a mix!)
- 4 tbsp sunflower oil (or mild olive oil)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp fresh flat leaf parsley, minced
- 6 tbsp soy sauce
- Toast sunflower kernels in a dry pan over low heat, stirring constantly to ensure they don’t burn. Remove when they start to turn golden (usually around 3-4 minutes) and place in a large bowl.
- Toast cashews in the same pan over low-medium heat, stirring constantly. After a few minutes, when slightly browned, remove from heat and add to the bowl of sunflower kernels.
- Add all other salad ingredients to the bowl and stir to combine.
- Combine all dressing ingredients into a jar and shake. Pour over salad and stir through.