This is my go-to vegan dish to take as a guest (perfect for BBQs or pot-lucks) or as an easy side dish when entertaining. It’s especially handy if you’re a guest and not sure if vegan food is going to be served, as it’s dense enough to be enjoyed as a main meal.
Humble in appearance but guaranteed WOW in flavour, you will get many compliments and no doubt recipe requests to anybody you serve this to!
Brown Rice Salad
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 4 tbsp currants
- 5 spring onions
- 1 small green capsicum
- 1 small red capsicum
- 200 g sunflower seeds
- 200 g raw cashews or almonds (or a mix!)
- 4 tbsp sunflower oil (or mild olive oil)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp fresh flat leaf parsley, minced
- 6 tbsp soy sauce
- Toast sunflower kernels in a dry pan over low heat, stirring constantly to ensure they don’t burn. Remove when they start to turn golden (usually around 3-4 minutes) and place in a large bowl.
- Toast cashews in the same pan over low-medium heat, stirring constantly. After a few minutes, when slightly browned, remove from heat and add to the bowl of sunflower kernels.
- Add all other salad ingredients to the bowl and stir to combine.
- Combine all dressing ingredients into a jar and shake. Pour over salad and stir through.