Salted Caramel Popcorn Brittle
This salted caramel popcorn brittle is the perfect sweet treat for an afternoon tea! The dark chocolate and rich salted caramel elevate this from the realms of childhood movie snack to sophisticated, better-for-you sweet treat.
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup popping corn
- 100 g vegan butter or margarine
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup brown rice or golden syrup
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 150 g dark chocolate melted
- Sea salt flakes
- Grease a large baking dish approx. 36cm x 25cm.
- Heat oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add a few pieces of popcorn and wait until it pops, then quickly remove. Add remaining popcorn, lift and shake to spread the kernels out evenly. Cover with a lid. Once the popcorn starts popping, shake gently once.
- Remove from heat when the popping slows down (when you can count to 3 between pops) and transfer to a very large bowl. Pick out any kernels that didn’t pop.
- To make the caramel, wipe the pot clean then melt the butter over low heat. Add sugar, syrup, vanilla and salt and stir until just combined. When it starts to bubble, turn it down to the lowest heat possible and simmer for 3 minutes – do not stir. Be careful because it burns easily!
- Remove from the heat then whisk in baking soda. Tip the popcorn into the pot and quickly mix until popcorn is well coated. Press into greased baking dish.
- Pour melted dark chocolate over the top of the popcorn slice, ensuring it is evenly coated.Sprinkle with a generous pinch of sea salt flakes and refrigerate to cool. Cut into pieces with a hot knife when cooled.
Note - don't use natural peanut butter. I'm not exactly sure why, but I used it once and the caramel split and went lumpy.
Calories: 2836kcal | Carbohydrates: 248g | Protein: 32g | Fat: 201g | Saturated Fat: 34g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 74g | Monounsaturated Fat: 82g | Trans Fat: 15g | Sodium: 3095mg | Potassium: 1302mg | Fiber: 11g | Sugar: 225g | Vitamin A: 10IU | Calcium: 246mg | Iron: 4mg