Baked Vegan Meatballs
This easy recipe is low effort for maximum results! Baking the tomato sauce gives a rich deep flavour without the effort of cooking on the stovetop. Serve in a long bread roll as a meatball sub or over pasta.
Servings 4 people
- 250 g vegan meatballs
- 1 brown onion
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 800 ml diced canned tomatoes
- 200 ml water
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp vegetable stock powder
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp brown sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh basil
- long bread rolls or cooked pasta
- vegan parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Heat generous light of olive oil in a Dutch oven
- Sauté onion over medium heat for 2-3 minutes until translucent, then add garlic, dried herbs and stir for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add meatballs and cook until lightly browned.
- Add canned tomatoes, water, tomato paste and mix well. Stir in vegetable stock, balsamic vinegar and sugar.
- Bring to the boil then reduce to a simmer on low heat for 15 minutes. Taste and add salt or pepper if desired.
- Transfer to the oven with the lid off and bake for 20 minutes.
- Serve in buttered bread rolls or over cooked pasta with fresh basil leaves, parmesan, salt and pepper.
Calories: 317kcal | Carbohydrates: 43g | Protein: 18g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 0.1mg | Sodium: 1082mg | Potassium: 698mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 309IU | Vitamin C: 22mg | Calcium: 172mg | Iron: 6mg