Superfood Kale Risotto
This fresh zesty risotto certainly isn't traditional Italian fare, but it is loaded with superfoods like chia seeds and kale to nourish and energise! A delicious, plant-based healthy dinner ready in 40 minutes.
Servings 4 people
- 1 1/2 cup brown short grain rice
- 2 leek
- 2 red onion
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 4 tbsp nutritional yeast optional
- 1/2 bunch kale
- 6 cloves garlic
- 2 lemon juiced
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 40 g hazelnuts roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- Halve and finely slice onions. Halve leeks lengthwise and slice into half rings, then rinse to remove dirt. Roughly chop kale, including stems. In a small saucepan, heat vegetable broth until it is almost boiling.
- Place a large frypan on medium heat with a lug of olive oil. Add onion and leek, stir for 4-5 minutes. Add rice, and stir constantly for 1 minute. Gradually add vegetable broth, stirring constantly and allowing the liquid to absorb before adding more. This gradual stirring process helps create a sticky classic risotto consistency. Once all stock has been added, if you the rice is too chewy for your taste you can add a little bit of water and continue to stir until it reaches your desired consistency.
- Add all pesto ingredients to a blender with a pinch of salt. Blitz until smooth.
- Once the risotto is done, add the pesto to the pan and stir until combined. Taste and season with salt and pepper if desired.
- Serve into four bowls, top with hazelnuts and chia seeds.
Calories: 643kcal | Carbohydrates: 87g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 29g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 5g | Monounsaturated Fat: 19g | Trans Fat: 0.01g | Sodium: 1201mg | Potassium: 753mg | Fiber: 11g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 3010IU | Vitamin C: 55mg | Calcium: 177mg | Iron: 5mg