Rhubarb Apple Crumble
This classic warm English dessert is tangy, sweet and has a buttery melt-in-mouth crumble topping. The perfect winter dessert served with ice cream or custard. Plus, you'd never know this recipe is vegan friendly.
Servings 4 people
- 2/3 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1/3 cup plant-based margarine or butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 stalks rhubarb (large stalks)
- 4 granny smith apples
- 1/4 cup raw sugar
- Preheat oven to 180°C / 360°F. Lightly grease a medium size baking dish.
- Peel and core apples, then thinly slice. Wash rhubarb, trim ends, then slice into 2cm chunks.
- Combine rhubarb, apple and raw sugar in prepared dish.
- Combine oats, flour, brown sugar, salt and margarine in a bowl. Using your fingertips, rub the margarine into the dry ingredients until it resembles breadcrumbs. Add this to topping to the rhubarb and apple mixture.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes or until the edges have bubbled and the crumble topping is golden. Stand for 5-10 minutes, then serve into bowls with custard or ice cream.
Calories: 497kcal | Carbohydrates: 89g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 5g | Monounsaturated Fat: 7g | Trans Fat: 3g | Sodium: 274mg | Potassium: 479mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 59g | Vitamin A: 161IU | Vitamin C: 13mg | Calcium: 98mg | Iron: 2mg