Thai-Inspired Peanut Chickpea Curry
The ultimate comfort food this mild Peanut Chickpea Curry is absolutely packed with zesty fresh Thai flavours of kaffir, aromatic spices and balanced with creamy indulgent coconut and peanuts.
Servings 6 people
- Large pot or dutch oven
- 1 large brown onion
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger minced
- 2 kaffir lime leaves minced
- 4 tbsp massaman curry paste vegan
- 2 large white potatoes peeled and diced into 2.5cm chunks
- 1 large carrot sliced into thin moons
- 2 400g cans of chickpeas
- 1 lime halved
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup smooth natural peanut butter
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 cup raw peanuts
- 4 large handfuls of baby spinach leaves
- 1/2 bunch coriander roughly chopped
- 1 400ml can coconut cream
- extra peanuts
- 2 red birdseye chilli sliced
- fresh coriander leaves
- cooked white rice
- lime wedges
- Prepare veggies: slice onion into half rings. Slice carrot into thin moons. Drain and rinse chickpeas. Halve the lime and juice one half, cut the other half into 4-6 wedges.
- In dutch oven or large pot, saute the onion with a generous lug of vegetable oil for 3 minutes until translucent. Add ginger and garlic, and saute for a further 1 minute before adding the curry paste. Stir, constantly for 1 minute, then add carrot, chickpeas and potato, stirring until coated in curry paste.
- Deglaze the pot with the water. In a small bowl, combine veggie stock, peanut butter and soy sauce. Add this mixture, along with peanuts and minced kaffir lime leaves to the pot and stir to combine. Leave then leave to simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent burning, until the potato and carrot have softened.
- Add the coconut cream, lime juice, coriander and spinach leaves and stir to combine. After 1-2 minutes, once the spinach leaves have wilted, turn off the heat. Serve over white rice, garnish with chilli, peanuts, coriander and a wedge of lime.
Massman curry paste can be substituted for red curry paste if preferred
Calories: 657kcal | Carbohydrates: 65g | Protein: 23g | Fat: 38g | Saturated Fat: 22g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 5g | Monounsaturated Fat: 7g | Sodium: 585mg | Potassium: 1268mg | Fiber: 17g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 5627IU | Vitamin C: 31mg | Calcium: 153mg | Iron: 8mg