Vegan Chicken Mayo Sandwich
This creamy vegan chicken mayo sandwich uses shredded tofu and is not only just as delicious but is high in plant protein. Perfect weekday lunch option!
Servings 6 people
- 450 g extra firm tofu shredded
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 stalk celery sliced into quarters lengthways, then finely diced
- 1/4 red onion very finely diced
- 1/2 cup walnuts roughly chopped
- 1.5 tbsp dill finely chopped
- 3 tbsp dill pickles finely chopped
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise plant-based
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- 12 slices white sandwich bread
- margarine or butter plant-based
- Shred tofu using a vegetable grater. Heat a lug of olive oil in medium frypan over medium heat, then add tofu and soy sauce. Pan fry until lightly golden, around 5-10 minutes. Transfer tofu to a plate to cool.
- In a small bowl, combine sauce ingredients.
- Prepare all remaining filling ingredients, then in a large mixing bowl, combine these with the cooled tofu.
- Pour the sauce over the tofu filling mixture and stir to combine.
- Butter slices of bread, fill and serve immediately.