Vegan Lemon Slice
This vegan lemon slice recipe is almost identical to the original, made with just a couple of simple product swaps. Tangy, buttery and super sweet - this classic lemon slice is perfect for a plant based afternoon tea.
Servings 24 squares
- Food processor
- 3/4 cup coconut condensed milk
- 120 g vegan butter or margarine
- 250 g vegan friendly plain tea biscuits *I use Arnott's Nice Biscuits
- 1 cup dessicated coconut
- 1 lemon zested and juiced
- 2 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 30 g vegan butter or margarine melted
- Heat coconut condensed milk and 120g vegan butter in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly, until simmering and combined.
- Place biscuits in a food processor and blitz until fine crumbs.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine biscuit crumbs, dessicated coconut and half the lemon rind.
- Add half the lemon juice to the condensed milk and vegan butter and stir to combine. Pour this over the dry biscuit mixture and stir until combined.
- Press mixture into a 15.5cm x 25cm baking tray and place in the fridge to chill for 30 minutes.
- Sift icing sugar into a bowl, then add remaining lemon juice and 30g of melted vegan butter. Mix until smooth.
- Spread icing mixture onto slice, then sprinkle remaining lemon zest over the top. Return to fridge for another 30 minutes to set.
- Slice into 24 bite size squares and serve. Store in an airtight container in the fridge, it should keep for about 5 days.
Calories: 197kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 3mg | Sodium: 100mg | Potassium: 62mg | Fiber: 0.4g | Sugar: 21g | Vitamin A: 35IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 30mg | Iron: 0.4mg