These greek donuts are fit for the gods! They are made using sourdough starter and have a slightly chewy texture. Serve immediately with light agave syrup, walnuts and cinnamon. If you're feeling like extra indulgence - add ice cream or chocolate sauce.
Servings 4 people
- 250 g bakers flour
- 200 g water
- 50 g sourdough starter
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- walnuts roughly chopped
- light agave syrup
- Combine flour and water and knead lightly for 2 mins. Rest dough for 30 mins, covered.
- Add sourdough starter to dough, knead lightly for 2 mins. Rest for 30 mins, covered.
- Add sugar and salt to dough. Dimple with fingers then knead for 2 mins. Rest for 90 mins, covered.
- In a fryer, or deep heavy based pot/dutch oven, heat about 1L of vegetable oil, or 2 inches deep, to 170C.
- Pinch off golf ball size pieces of dough between your thumb and forefinger, then carefully place them into the oil using a lightly greased spoon. You can also grease your hands so the dough doesn’t stick, just don’t use water or the oil will spit!
- Fry until lightly golden, stirring with a slotted spoon so they are cooked evenly.
- Drain on paper towel for 3-5 minutes before serving immediately with toppings of choice.