Creamy Chickpea & Lemon Pasta
Not only is this delicious creamy chickpea pasta easy, quick and delicious, it's also vegan and budget friendly! A perfect hearty weeknight dinner made from mostly pantry staples.
Servings 4 people
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 400 g chickpeas
- 1 1/2 cup soy milk
- 1 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp light miso paste
- 2 tsp fresh rosemary leaves minced
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 1 lemon juiced
- 500 g spaghetti
- lemon wedges
- chilli flakes or chilli oil
- Cook pasta to packet instructions.
- While pasta is cooking, prepare the sauce. Add vegetable oil to a large frypan over medium heat. Add chickpeas and stir for 5-7 minutes until chickpeas start to caramelise and brown around the edges.
- Reduce heat to low, then add the minced garlic and rosemary, stirring for 1-2 minutes. Add miso paste and nutritional yeast, stirring until chickpeas are coated.
- Next, add soy milk and increase heat to medium to bring the sauce to a simmer. Stir constantly for approximately 2 minutes until sauce begins to thicken, then add lemon juice. Continue to simmer for a few minutes until sauce reaches desired consistency (you can add an extra splash of soy milk or pasta water if you prefer a thinner sauce). Taste and season with salt and pepper if desired.
- Add cooked spaghetti to pan and stir gently with tongs to combine. Serve in pasta bowls with a wedge of lemon and chilli flakes (optional).
Calories: 723kcal | Carbohydrates: 117g | Protein: 27g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 11g | Sodium: 634mg | Potassium: 690mg | Fiber: 11g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 262IU | Vitamin C: 20mg | Calcium: 164mg | Iron: 4mg