Are you on the hunt for a quick and easy meal that’s both filling and flavorful? Look no further than this Coconut Rice with Spiced Chickpeas and Broccolini recipe. Not only is it a breeze to whip up, but it’s also packed with plant-based protein and fiber, making it a satisfying and nutritious option for any meal of the day.
The spiced chickpeas and broccolini add a flavorful kick to the dish, without being too spicy, making it a great option for those who want to add some flavor without overwhelming heat. Plus, the creamy coconut rice is the perfect complement, creating a comforting and satisfying meal that’s perfect for busy weeknights or lazy weekends.
Coconut Rice with Spiced Chickpeas and Broccolini
- 1 cup white rice
- 400 ml light coconut milk canned
- 400 g canned chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 bunch broccolini
- 1 red onion
- 25 g peanuts
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp miso paste
- 1/2 cup water
- Shredded coconut
- Wash rice to remove excess starch. Place rice in sauce pan on high heat and toast for 3-4 minutes. Add half the can of coconut milk (200ml) + 1/2 a cup of water and a good pinch of salt, then cover and bring to the boil. Simmer 15 mins, turn off heat and let steam for a further 10 mins.
- Dice onion, coarsely chop peanuts and finely chop broccolini including the stems. Drain chickpeas.
- Place frypan on medium heat with 2 tbsp of vegetable oil. Add onion and chickpeas and cook for 3-4 minutes. Add spice mix, broccolini and peanuts and cook for afurther 2 mins. Add remaining coconut milk and miso paste, stir thoroughly until combined. Add 1/2 cup water and simmer until reduced and sauce has thickened slightly. Add salt to taste and 3/4 of the shredded coconut.
- Place rice in bowls, top with the chickpea/broccolini mixture and garnish with chopped coriander.