This hearty pumpkin, kale, quinoa and tofu salad with creamy, tangy tahini dressing is a filling lunch or dinner option. Store in a jar in layers to stop the wet and dry ingredients mixing – this will keep it fresh for up to 3 days. Perfect for healthy, plant-based meal prep!
Creamy Tahini, Kale & Pumpkin Salad
- 1 kg pumpkin peeled, cut into 3cm pieces
- 1 cup quinoa dry
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 bunch kale stems removed, leaves roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup pine nuts toasted
- 1/2 red onion thinly sliced
- 450 g extra firm tofu pressed & crumbled
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 1/3 cup tahini hulled
- 1 lemon juiced
- 4 tbsp water
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp sumac
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 390°F / 200°C. Line a large baking tray with baking paper. Place pumpkin pieces onto tray, add a generous lug of olive oil and a pinch of salt then massage with your hands so all sides are coated evenly. Roast for 40 minutes in a single layer until pumpkin is golden and softened.
- Add quinoa and vegetable broth to a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer on low heat for approx. 15 minutes (maybe a few extra minutes depending on stove top and pot), or until broth has been absorbed. Remove from heat, fluff quinoa with a fork and set aside.
- Heat a lug of olive oil in a large frypan. Add roughly 3/4 of the kale leaves and stir until wilted (roughly 3-5 minutes). Add the remainder of the kale leaves to a lined baking tray, coat in olive oil and a pinch of salt, then bake for about 10 - 15 minutes until slightly browned and crispy.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together all dressing ingredients until well combined. Adjust the consistency by adding more water if needed.
- Divide the dressing amongst the jars and then add the rest of the ingredients in the following order: crumbled tofu, pumpkin, wilted kale, quinoa, red onion, pine nuts and crispy kale.
- Seal the jars and store in the fridge for up to 3 days. The salad should stay nice and fresh if layered correctly. When you're ready to eat, simply tip the jar upside down into a bowl and mix to combine.