These Vegan Freezer Breakfast Burritos are a delicious, high protein, plant-based twist on a classic convenience meal. Made with textured vegetable protein (TVP) and tofu scramble, it tastes like a healthier version of a Sausage McMuffin! Reheat in the microwave in just 2 minutes, or air fry for a delicious crispy texture.
Why you’ll love these Vegan Breakfast Burritos
- Familiar Favourite: who doesn’t love an easy and convenient freezer burrito or a sausage McMuffin? If you’re vegan, it’s SO fun to be able to enjoy a familiar old favourite in plant-based form.
- Protein Packed: Thanks to Textured Vegetable Protein (TVP) and Tofu Scramble, these burritos are high in protein (29g per serve!). They are dense and delicious, and will certainly keep you feeling fuelled and satisfied right through to lunchtime.
- Quick and Convenient: We’re all busy and it can be almost impossible to make a high protein savoury breakfast during the work week. These are meal prep friendly and ideal for a quick breakfast or lunch on a busy day without compromising on taste or protein! They reheat in the microwave in just 2 minutes, and if you’d like a crispy texture, pop them in the air fryer for 4 minutes each side for a super crispy and satisfying crust.
- The Ultimate Breakfast Meal Prep: These freeze very well for up to 3 months (probably longer if you wrap them nice and tightly). Make a big batch in one hit and you’ll be set for ages!
- Perfect Anytime Meal: Beyond breakfast, these vegan freezer burritos are a versatile option for any meal of the day. Whether it’s a quick and nutritious lunch, a post-workout snack, or a hearty dinner at the end of a long day, you can always count on these nutritious burritos.
Wrap in baking paper then a layer of aluminium foil, then store in the freezer for 3 months. You can probably keep for longer if sealed extra tightly 🙂
Zap in the microwave for 2-3 minutes on high and enjoy immediately! If you prefer a crispy crust, thaw first then air fry on each side for 4 minutes.
I hope you love these Vegan Freezer Breakfast Burritos, let me know what you think in the comments below 🙂
And if you’re looking for another high protein breakfast idea, be sure to check out my Protein French Toast.
Vegan Freezer Breakfast Burritos
- 6 tortillas large, 12 inch
- mayonnaise plant based
- 1 cup TVP (Textured Vegetable Protein)
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp ground fennel seeds
- 1/2 tsp ground sage
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil for cooking
- 1 batch tofu scramble *recipe link in notes
- 1/2 red pepper (capsicum) finely diced
- 1/2 green pepper (capsicum) finely diced
- 1/2 red onion finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- In a bowl, rehydrate the TVP by pouring the vegetable broth or water over it. Let it sit for about 5 minutes until it absorbs the liquid and becomes soft.
- In a separate bowl, combine the nutritional yeast, soy sauce, maple syrup (or agave nectar), ground fennel seeds, ground sage, ground black pepper, ground coriander, smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt. Mix everything together to create the sausage seasoning blend.
- Add the sausage seasoning blend to the rehydrated TVP. Mix well, ensuring the TVP is evenly coated with the flavors.
- Heat 1-2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add the seasoned TVP mixture to the skillet and cook for about 5-7 minutes, stirring frequently until it browns slightly and develops a sausage-like texture.
- Prepare batch of tofu scramble (uncooked).
- Heat a large frypan on medium heat with a lug of olive oil. Add onion, peppers and stir for 1 minute before adding garlic and tofu scramble.
- Continue to stir for roughly 7-10 minutes until tofu scramble is bright yellow and has some golden highlights. Turn off heat.
- Spread a dollop (roughly 1/2 tbsp) of mayonnaise onto the centre of each tortilla.
- Divide the tofu scramble and tvp mixtures between each tortilla, being careful not to overfill.
- Fold up your burrito. Wrap tightly in a layer of baking paper, then a second layer of aluminium foil if freezing. If you want to eat immediately, you can enjoy it as is for a soft burrito, or if you prefer a crispy texture then pan fry or air fry until golden.
Reheating from frozen
- Microwave: remove aluminium foil layer and microwave on high for 2-3 minutes until heated right through the centre.
- Air fryer: first, thaw in microwave. Remove aluminium foil layer and microwave on high for 90 seconds until thawed. Remove the baking paper and place seam side down on the air fryer basket. Air fry at 200C/390F for 4 minutes, then flip sides and air fry for a further 3 minutes until golden and crispy.