You will be amazed at just how cripsy these Oil Free Sweet Potato Chips are! Made in the microwave, they cook from raw in just 4 minutes and only require two ingredients – sweet potato and salt. Slice them as finely as possible using a mandolin to get the crispiest chips.
Oil Free Sweet Potato Chips - made in the microwave!
- 1 large sweet potato washed
- salt fine
- large bowl of iced water
- Slice sweet potato with skin on as thinly as possible using a mandolin.
- Add sweet potato slices to the bowl of iced water. Jiggle the slices with your fingers to separate then leave to sit for 10 minutes to wash away some of the starch. Pat dry using kitchen paper or a clean tea towel.
- Place a sheet of non-stick baking paper directly onto your microwave plate. Add the sweet potato slices onto the baking paper in a single layer, making sure the edges do not touch. Sprinkle with a small pinch of fine table salt.
- Microwave on high for 4 minutes or until some brown highlights are starting to appear. The exact time will depend on your microwave, I found 4-4.5 minutes was a good time for mine. Start at 4 minutes and continue to cook in 30 second increments until they are crispy. Note that it will take a couple of minutes once they have been removed from the microwave to crisp up even more. Repeat this step in batches until all slices are cooked.
- Eat immediately for the crispiest texture or store in an airtight container to save for later, they should stay crispy for about 1-2 days.