Sweet & Smokey Baked Beans
This homemade version of the classic British breakfast is rich, smoky and filling! Make this for your next weekend brunch at home.
Servings 4 people
- Dutch oven
- 400 g butter beans drained and rinsed
- 1.5 tbsp olive oil
- 3 large brown onions thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp miso paste
- 3 tbsp molasses
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cups vegan 'beef' stock
- 800 g canned diced tomatoes
- 2 bay leaf
- Preheat oven to 160C/320 F.
- Heat olive oil in Dutch oven. Add onion and soften over low heat for 15-20 mins until onions begin to caramelise.
- Add the garlic and stir for 1-2 minutes until fragrant. Add balsamic vinegar, smoked paprika, cumin, Dijon mustard, miso paste, molasses and tomato paste. Continue stirring for another 2 mins to avoid sticking.
- Add butter beans and stir until thoroughly coated.
- Add vegan 'beef' stock, canned tomatoes and bay leaves. Bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Transfer to the oven with the lid on and bake at 160C for 90 minutes.
- Serve with sourdough toast, vegan cheese and chives.