Spiced Vegan Cottage Pie with Sweet Potato Mash
This healthy and hearty cottage pie is a delicious plant-based twist on a classic British meal. Made from lentils, seasoned with Indian inspired spices, and topped with sweet potato mash. A high protein, affordable meal that's perfect for winter.
Servings 8 people
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 4 onions diced
- 4 celery sticks finely sliced
- 4 carrots peeled and diced
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 800 g brown lentils drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 3.5 cup vegetable stock hot
- 800 g chopped tomatoes
Sweet potato mash
- 1.5 kg sweet potato peeled and chopped
- 3 tbsp vegan margarine
- 2 tbsp miso paste
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup unsweetened plant-based milk
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C / 360°F.
- Heat olive oil in a large pan or dutch oven. Add the onions, celery and carrots and cook on medium heat for 6-8 minutes, stirring.
- Add the garlic, cumin, ground coriander, smoked paprika and stir for 1-2 minutes. Add lentils, tomato paste and soy sauce, stir for a further 1-2 minutes.
- Add vegetable stock and chopped tomatoes, stir and then leave to simmer for 25-30 minutes until reduced.
- Add chopped sweet potato to a large pot, cover with salted water then bring to to the boil. Boil for about 10 minutes until softened. Drain, then return to the pot. Add margarine, miso paste, nutritional yeast and milk. Mash until smooth, taste and season with salt if desired.
- If you used a pan to cook the veggies, transfer them into an ovenproof dish, then top with sweet potato. If using a dutch oven, simply add the sweet potato mash on top. Smooth the mash down then run a fork over the top to fluff the surface. Brush or spray some olive oil over the top and sprinkle with a little salt. Bake for 30 minutes, until golden and bubbling.
This recipe was adapted from the Woolworths Indian Spiced Veggie Cottage Pie.
Calories: 682kcal | Carbohydrates: 116g | Protein: 33g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 6g | Trans Fat: 0.02g | Sodium: 1166mg | Potassium: 2109mg | Fiber: 41g | Sugar: 18g | Vitamin A: 32599IU | Vitamin C: 26mg | Calcium: 185mg | Iron: 11mg