Creamy Pumpkin Pasta with Basil Pesto (Vegan)
Creamy, vibrant, and loaded with flavour – this pumpkin pasta with basil pesto is wholesome plant-based comfort food, full of fresh veggies and healthy fats.
Servings 4 people
- 750 g pumpkin
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp vegetable stock powder
- 1 bunch fresh basil
- 1 clove garlic peeled
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup cashews
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 1/4 tsp salt plus extra to taste
Pasta & toppings
- 500 g rigatoni or pasta of choice
- plant-based parmesan cheese optional
- Preheat oven to 200C. Pour boiling water over cashews and set aside to soak.
- Peel and dice pumpkin into 3-4cm chunks. Coat pumpkin and garlic cloves (leave the skins on) with olive oil and vegetable stock. Transfer to a baking tray and roast for 40 mins until pumpkin is golden and soft.
- Combine all pesto ingredients in a food processor and blitz until smooth. Some small remaining chunks are fine.
- Once cool to touch, peel the garlic cloves. Combine the roast pumpkin, garlic, cashews, soy milk, lemon juice and nutritional yeastin a blender. Blitz until smooth. *Note - if using a closed blender with no opening (e.g. Nutribullet) be sure that the pumpkin is cool as hot blenders can explode.
- Prepare pasta to packet instructions. Once pasta is cooked, drain and return to pot. Pour sauce over cooked pasta and stir through.
- Serve pasta into bowls. Top with basil pesto, and plant-based parmesan cheese (optional).
Calories: 893kcal | Carbohydrates: 120g | Protein: 27g | Fat: 36g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 6g | Monounsaturated Fat: 22g | Cholesterol: 0.1mg | Sodium: 319mg | Potassium: 1288mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 16197IU | Vitamin C: 30mg | Calcium: 169mg | Iron: 6mg