Roasted Tofu with Sticky Lemon Glaze
This roasted tofu is an impressive vegan-friendly centrepiece, perfect for the holiday season! The sticky lemon and herb glaze is aromatic, sweet and loaded with flavour
Servings 3 people
- 450 g extra firm tofu
- 3 lemons
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 cup raw sugar
- 3 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp brown rice syrup
- 2 tsp rosemary
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cracked pepper optional
- 1 sprig rosemary or thyme optional
- *Note – if you have time, start this recipe the night before to allow the tofu to marinate in the glaze. If not, don't worry, it will still be delicious.
- Preheat oven to 190/375F (if not marinating overnight).
- Press tofu for 10 minutes or up to 1 hour. You can do this by placing the tofu like a sandwich between clean kitchen towels and a heavy object, like a large pot or book. This step will help give the tofu a firmer texture and better soak up the glaze.
- Zest the rind of 1 lemon. Take a second lemon and cut in half, slicing one half into thin rounds. Juice all the remaining lemons (2.5 lemons).
- In a small mixing bowl, combine all the glaze ingredients, including the lemon juice and zest, but leaving out the the lemon slices. Mix until sugar has dissolved.
- Slice the tofu in diagonal lines 1.5cm apart across the top and bottom to form a crosshatch pattern. Slices should be about 0.5-1cm deep, being careful not to slice through the middle.
- If you have time, you can marinate the tofu in the glaze for minimum 2 hours up to overnight. If you are doing this step, place the lemon slices in a marinating bag or small container, put the tofu on top and then pour the glaze over the top. If you skip this step, simply brush the tofu generously on all sides with 1/3 of the glaze.
- Line a small tray with baking paper. Place the lemon slices on the bottom of the tray, overlapping them so they are roughly the same dimensions as the tofu. Place the tofu on top and brush the top with extra glaze. Bake for 40 minutes, then brush with glaze and carefully flip the tofu over, making sure to leave the lemon slices on the bottom of the tray. Brush the top to use up the last of the glaze and bake for a further 30 minutes. If you'd like to get the top really sticky and starting to crisp, grill/broil the tofu for an extra 5-10 minutes at the end to finish.
- To serve, top the tofu with the lemon slices and garnish with a sprig of rosemary or thyme for a beautiful centrepiece!
Calories: 235kcal | Carbohydrates: 43g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 1501mg | Potassium: 444mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 29g | Vitamin A: 58IU | Vitamin C: 60mg | Calcium: 101mg | Iron: 3mg