This easy Tofu Scramble Spice Mix is a HUGE time saver plus it tastes SUPER eggy. This recipe shows you how to use it to make a delicious tofu scramble with any kind of tofu, everytime.
What is Tofu Scramble Spice Mix?
It’s a combination of spices that makes food taste like eggs 😱. It’s intended for use with tofu but could also be used with any other base ingredient (like pumpkin seeds, mung beans or crumbled tempeh). Add it to any of these and you’ll have a delicious eggy tasting meal. By batch preparing this spice mix, you save so much time in the kitchen. Otherwise, every time you want to make a tofu scramble you have to dig out what feels like 1000 spices out of your pantry. Plus, a positive side effect of having this spice mix is that I always eat more tofu scramble when I have it ready to go in the pantry. Yay to more healthy high protein breakfasts.
This Tofu Scramble Spice Mix is a combo of everyday spices and a couple that are a little more niche. The hero ingredient, Kala Namak, is one of those niche spices. It’s also known as Black Salt (which is a misnomer, because it’s actually pink) and it has a unique eggy and sulphuric taste and odour. It’s generally not available in supermarkets (at least not in Australia) but it IS available at Indian grocery stores and online. You don’t need very much of it all, a small bag is enough. I know there are some great bulk deals online but honestly you’ll have it sitting in your cupboard for years if you buy a big bag, just get a small one around 100-200g. As for the other spices, you should be able to find most of these easily at your supermarket, you might just need to make a visit to the health food aisle for nutritional yeast.
There’s a detailed recipe card at the bottom of this post with exact quantities of all spices needed, but here’s a shopping list for your convenience:
- Nutritional yeast
- Smoked paprika
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Kala namak
- Cracked pepper
How to Make Tofu Scramble Spice Mix
I don’t want to give too much away here… but you literally just combine everything in a jar and shake haha. It’s that easy! When you’re ready to use the spice mix, simply add a few tablespoons to your scramble base ingredient (i.e. tofu, pumpkin seeds etc). Check the recipe card at the bottom for exact quantities 🙂
Combine all spices into a jar.
Shake jar to mix spices thoroughly.
Why You’ll Love This Tofu Scramble Spice Mix
- Super eggy flavour: I’m not messing around here, the flavours of this spice mix really do taste like eggs! If you’ve been having a craving for a delicious scramble for breakfast, but choose not to eat eggs then this is going to seriously hit the spot.
- Easy to prepare: this spice mix is SO simple – just pop everything into a jar and shake to combine.
- Versatile: you can use this spice mix to season any food of your choice. I mostly use it for tofu scramble, but you could also include this in a vegan quiche recipe, frittata or any other egg inspired dish. This would be great with my pumpkin seed scramble or mung bean omelette.
- Convenient: the biggest drawcard for tofu scramble spice mix is that it’s a HUGE time saver. Make up a batch once and save yourself the frustration and time of rummaging through your spice cupboard every time you want to whip up an eggy tasting breakfast.
How to Use Tofu Scramble Spice Mix
To whip up a batch of tofu scramble, simply add 4 tbsp of this spice mix to 350g/12 ounces of crumbled tofu and mix to combine. Add in roughly 1/3 cup of unsweetened plant based milk, then pan fry with a lug of vegetable oil until golden. It’s that easy! You can use extra firm tofu, firm tofu, or silken tofu but each will have a slightly different consistency due to the variation in water content. Check out my tofu scramble recipe for more detailed instructions.
Variations and Substitutions
The Tofu Scramble Spice Mix is delish as is, but feel free to get creative and experiment with different flavours to suit your preferences. Here are some ideas to get you thinking:
- Extra nutritional yeast: if you love a cheezey flavour then extra nutritional yeast will make this even more delicious.
- Other spices and herbs: you could try adding a pinch of cumin, extra smoked paprika, dried thyme or parsley. All of these would add another flavour element to the mix. I wouldn’t recommend trying them all at once though haha. Try one new addition at a time as you experiment.
- Turn up the heat: if you’re a chilli girlie then why not add a sprinkle of cayenne pepper or some chilli flakes into your mix?
- No Kala Namak? No problem: although Kala Namak (Black Salt) is the hero ingredient, you can leave it out and you’ll still have a delicious savoury spice mix. The mix just won’t have that distinctly eggy sulphuric taste.
Keep your Tofu Scramble Spice Mix in a jar or airtight container and keep it in a cool, dry place away from heat and sunlight. The spice mix should last well for up to 6 months if using fresh spices and stored correctly. Before use, shake the container to ensure even distribution of flavors.
Avoid moisture, as it can cause clumping and reduce potency. If the spice mixture starts to cake or clump together, break it apart using a spoon, then shake thoroughly until all clumps are gone.
Can I substitute Kala Namak (black salt) with regular table salt?
While you can use regular table salt as a substitute, it won’t taste the same. Kala Namak adds a distinct eggy and sulfurous taste to the tofu scramble. If possible, try to include Kala Namak for a true eggy flavor.
You can find Kala Namak at Indian grocery stores or online.
Kala Namak, also known as black salt or Himalayan black salt, is a type of rock salt with a pinkish-grey hue. It is prized for its unique “eggy” or “sulfurous” flavor, making it popular in vegan and vegetarian cooking, especially in dishes that aim to replicate the taste of eggs. You can find Kala Namak in specialty Indian grocery stores and online retailers, and it’s a fantastic addition to your spice collection for experimenting with distinct and flavorful ingredients in your plant-based recipes.
How long does the Tofu Scramble Spice Mix last?
When stored properly in an airtight container in a cool, dry place, the spice mix can maintain its flavor for up to 6 months.
You could use it to make vegan versions of any eggy flavoured dish. Frittata, quiche, egg rice or zuchinni slice made using this spice mix would all be delicious!
I hope you find this Tofu Scramble Spice Mix as convenient and tasty as I do. Let me know what you think in the comments below, what you make it with most often or if you’ve experimented with any different ratios or combinations of spices 🙂
Tofu Scramble Spice Mix
- 1 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tbsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tbsp onion powder or granules
- 1/2 tbsp turmeric
- 2 tsp Kala namak aka black salt
- 1/2 tsp cracked pepper
- Combine all ingredients in an air tight jar and shake thoroughly to mix.
- Keep in a cool dry place for up to 6 months.
- When you're ready to make a batch of scramble, simply add roughly 4 tbsp to 350g/12 ounces of crumbled tofu, plus 1/3 cup of soy milk and pan fry until golden. Check out my recipe for tofu scramble if you need more detailed instructions!