Yellow Split Pea Soup with Basil Pesto (Vegan)
This simple but wholesome plant-based pea soup is filling, savoury and punchy when topped with zesty cashew basil pesto.
Servings 8 people
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 brown onions diced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 500 g dried yellow split peas
- 2 L vegetable stock
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 1 bunch of fresh basil
- 1 clove garlic peeled
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup raw cashews
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Rinse peas. Heat oil in large pot over medium heat.
- Add onion and stir for 2-3 minutes until translucent. Add garlic and stir for a further minute.
- Add peas and stock, increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 25-30 minutes until peas are tender. Taste, season with salt and pepper.
- Add coconut milk to soup, turn off heat then puree with a hand held stick blender until smooth.
- Combine all pesto ingredients in a food processor and blitz until smooth. Some small remaining chunks are fine.
- Serve soup into bowls, and top with a dollop of pesto.
Calories: 455kcal | Carbohydrates: 47g | Protein: 18g | Fat: 24g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 9g | Sodium: 1084mg | Potassium: 806mg | Fiber: 17g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 624IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 56mg | Iron: 5mg